Thursday, February 17, 2011

Beating the cold with comfort food

We've actually been having a little thaw here lately. It was 53 degrees here on Tuesday. Unfortunately, there was also a strong wind blowing, with gusts up to 30mph. So, on the one hand, I got to go out and walk through Central Park on my lunch break. On the other hand, I spent most of that walk blinking dust out of my eyes that the wind was whipping up in great, gritty clouds. 


 
Today it was 56 degrees, with no wind, and I walked from 79th St. back to work at 65th st. with a huge smile on my face. It gave me just a taste of what's to come - warmth!! And lots of it. I'm sure you'll tire of hearing me whine about the heat and humidity in August, but right now I say "Bring on that 90 degree weather". I'm ready for it!! 

Unfortunately, I've lived in the Pacific Northwest long enough to know a false spring when I see one, and I'm not fooling myself that the cold weather is past us just yet. And last week I had found a dinner that is a perfect remedy for a cold night. Comfort food - eggs, biscuits, potatoes and mushrooms. I got a couple of portobello mushrooms in my food box last week and was a little perplexed as to what to do with them. I grew up in a household where mushrooms were not common and I've only recently begun to truly enjoy and appreciate mushrooms. And I've never handled a portobello before! So I did what any smart person would do, I went to bonappetit.com and typed in Portobello. And back came, "Broiled Portobello topped with Creamy Scrambled Eggs". I had some buttermilk in the fridge leftover from making butter, so biscuits seemed natural and there were potatoes in the box as well. What could be more comforting and warming than breakfast foods? The mushrooms are broiled with olive oil, garlic, salt and pepper and, my lord, they are delicious. The egg is almost omelette-like in texture and you just plunk it down on top of the mushroom and devour. It was the perfect dinner on a super-cold night. 

Broiled Portobello with Creamy Scrambled Eggs

  • 6 4- to 5-inch-diameter portobello mushrooms
  • Olive oil
  • 3 garlic cloves, minced
  • 12 large eggs
  • 4 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped fresh rosemary
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 6 tablespoons (3/4 stick) butter

Preparation 

Preheat broiler. Line large baking sheet with foil. Remove and discard mushroom stems. Scoop out and discard tough inside centers where mushroom stems were attached. Brush both sides of mushrooms generously with olive oil. Place mushrooms, dark gill side up, on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle mushrooms with minced garlic, then sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Broil mushrooms about 5 inches from heat source until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Turn mushrooms over; broil until tender when pierced with knife, about 7 minutes longer. DO AHEAD Can be made 2 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature. Before continuing, rewarm in 350°F oven until heated through, about 10 minutes.

Whisk eggs, 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, chopped rosemary, salt, and pepper in large bowl to blend. Melt 5 tablespoons butter in heavy large skillet over medium-low heat. Add eggs to skillet and stir gently in circular motion with wooden spoon or heat-resistant rubber spatula, releasing cooked eggs from bottom of skillet and allowing uncooked portion of eggs to flow underneath. Cook until eggs are set but still soft, about 4 minutes total. Dot with remaining 1 tablespoon butter. 
 
Arrange hot portobello mushrooms, gill side up, on plates. Top with eggs, dividing equally. Sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese, dividing equally, and serve.


We get to taste our beer this weekend! I can't wait and I hope it's not skunky!!

No comments: