Wednesday, September 10, 2008

employment is a good thing...

So the big news first for those of you who haven't heard - I got the job! YAY! I start on Monday and now I'm just nervous about starting a new job. It's always something. But the news came along just in time - I was starting to get very down in the dumps about the whole situation. The waiting was starting to wear a little bit. I spent a couple of long days in the apartment with a book. On the upside, I discovered an author that I like and have been raiding the library for all of her books. It's nice to have time just to sit and read.

Let's see - what else have we been up to? I haven't been posting much, because things have been pretty slow. We had a really low-key weekend, Neil went to his studio and I, as mentioned before, holed up with a book on Saturday. On Sunday, we tried a Presbyterian church which was a little strange for us, but will work out if we can't find anything else. Then we had another really restful afternoon and ran some errands. No fun outings on the bikes with pictures, or anything, though. I haven't been sleeping well for the last week or so, so I've been taking naps during the day, which I'm sure is contributing to the restless nights. It's a vicious cycle. I feel like I'm converting to my college sleep schedule - stay up til midnight, sleep in until 10:00 and then have a nap in mid-day. Yep, that sounds just like college. :)

I went back to the nursery and volunteered again today and again, it was just lovely. For my first activity, we collected the seeds of an endangered member of the aster family that grows only in San Francisco. It's this tiny little yellow flower and when the flower dry out, the seeds fluff out like dandelions. We picked off the little fluffs. It was also very interesting, because the area of the Presidio where these flowers chose to grow actually used to be a cemetary a long time ago, and then a landfill more recently. So they have to try and clean up the landfill, but they can't disturb the cemetary or these federally protected flowers. The flowers are called "Lessingia". Here is a picture of this flower:


It's pretty insubstantial, actually. Here is a link to an article about the flower, if you are interested. I thought it was fascinating. http://www.ggnrabigyear.org/sanfranciscolessingia.html

The only two places that this flower is located in the world is in San Francisco and Daly City, CA. See, you can learn something when you read this blog! :)
My second activity wasn't quite as exciting - we took the berries from a dogwood tree and smooshed them to get to the seeds. There was a bunch of white, sticky stuff surrounding the seeds, so we had to wipe that all off. Then we planted them in individual pots. Still fun, just not as much useful information to give you. There is tons of different kinds of dogwoods, so I can't even give you much general information about them... Sorry! :(

Well, if life gets more exciting, I'll be sure to let you know. We will have visitors this weekend! YAY! Neil's friend Jason and his wife Tracy will be visiting with their two-year old. We're going to take a tour of either a winery, or the Budweiser plant in Fairfield, CA. Sounds like an appropriate activity for four adults and a two-year old, eh? But it will be GREAT to see friendly faces. More people need to visit! :) Just kidding, I realize that we've only been here three weeks. I may be jumping the gun just a tad...

Well, I'll get to the other half of the picture tour of the neighborhood later...Right now I have a date with my blanket and book.

No comments: