Friday, September 4, 2009

An ode to autumn

As I've complained about it endlessly on this blog, I'm sure you've all come to realize that there are really no seasons in San Francisco. As someone who has spent the last 29 years of her life perfectly in tune with the Pacific Northwest seasons, obviously this poses a bit of a problem. But it really is interesting what you learn about yourself when you move out of your comfort zone. I have learned that Autumn is actually my favorite season. My whole life, I would have said summer was my favorite, and it is still a pretty great season, you can't argue with that. But the season that I absolutely find myself just totally pining away for, is autumn.



And, it now being September, my finely-tuned, built-in season identifier is primed and ready for autumn. It's time for that barely noticeable, extremely subtle shift in the air - a tiny drop in temperatures, a slightly different angle to the light, just a hint of *crisp* in the air. I feel like when I'm home, it's just these tiny differences, but you instantly know that autumn is here. One day it's summer, and then next, it's autumn.


And, of course, there are different parts of autumn. Early autumn, where there is still a chance of an indian summer - leaves are just turning a hint of color and mornings are crisp but afternoon still offers some warmth. Mid-autumn, where the trees are fully turned but the leaves are still hanging on, the light slants at a steeper angle and there's a general hazy, smoky, very crisp feel to the air. And late autumn, when the leaves are brown and falling and now it's serious about getting cold, and there may have even been some good rain storms.


There is just something about autumn that really makes it special. One of the things that makes it special are the activities that autumn brings about - I strongly associate autumn with picking apples and making apple cider. Many of the years, when I was growing up, my girl scout troop would go out to Zuckerman's farm and we would make apple cider and carve pumpkins. We also had some neighbors that made apple cider. And last year, my dad built his own homemade apple press, and we made apple cider out of the apples off our own trees. There is just something amazing about the leaves crunching under your feet, the air so cool and crisp and perfect and nipping at your hands as you throw apples in the grinder, then move them into the press and screw it down, watching the beautiful amber juice run out. There is just something about the air outside in autumn - it's clear as a bell, it heightens the senses and focuses you. There is no summer warmth making you drowsy and lazy and unfocused. I think about that autumn air and instantly, nostalgia twists my heart all up with memories.


Then, of course, there is always Halloween in autumn as well. The pumpkin carving and the dressing up and the candy collecting. The leaves again crunching under your feet as you tromped from house to house, watching that candy bag filling up. The smell of smoke from the warmth indoors tickling your nose and laying a slight haze over everything.



And that indoor warmth is another thing. When the air gets a little too cool and your hands have been a little too nipped by the crispness, the warm lights from indoors beckon and you know that you will soon be cozy, warm, snuggled by the fire with a blanket, which seems to make that autumn air even more perfect.



*sigh*

Alas, in San Francisco, September means the beginning of summer and as you all pull your winter sweaters out of the drawers and push your shorts to the back of the closet, I will just now be pulling out my tank tops.

Oh autumn, how I miss you...

2 comments:

Katie P said...

Really, you should be a writer.

sfsteph said...

That's sweet, Katie. Thanks!