Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Soup dumplings...Mmmmmm

In September, my friends Yee and Huy moved here from Portland, increasing my pool of NY friends by 1/3. Even though I'm jealous that they get to live in Manhattan, I LOVE having them here, because they are super-awesome, super-fun people to have around, but also because they do thing like babysit nervous doggies for us while we move in a snowstorm. Also because they do all the heavy lifting when It comes to scoping out new, awesome places to eat, which, since I actually have to do work at work now (sigh), I don't have time to do on my own.

This weekend, they introduced me to Shanghai Cafe in Chinatown and this magnificent little gem of a food called a Soup Dumplings. Most of you worldly folks probably already know what these are, but to me, they were a mystery. How do you get soup to stay in a dumpling, for goodness sake? Wow, is all I can say. What a heart-warming, delicious little snack! Yummy meat, delicious broth, chewy dumpling. And it was dirt-cheap! Needless to say, I will be returning again and again.

Unfortunately, Neil couldn't join us. He found out that he has shingles this weekend and is quarantined from all people who have not had chicken pox, which is 1/3 of our friend pool here. Poor guy. But, it does give us an excuse to go back for more soup dumplings!!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

1 comment:

Mel said...

Soup dumplings are awesome, though I have not yet managed to eat them without either burning my tongue or making a mess.

Hope Neil feels better soon!!