Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Change of scenery

I haven't felt much like blogging for the last few months, obviously. I switched jobs and started working for the Opera directly and as they are in a transitional period right now, leaving Lincoln Center, there was a LOT of work to be done and I worked more overtime than I have in a long time. So I wasn't getting out and about a lot, not exploring any uncharted NYC territory, and not really doing anything interesting to share with you. Life started to feel very much like it was in a rut, and there was just nothing interesting to blog about. 

But last weekend, we moved to a new apartment, in a different neighborhood in Brooklyn and, with that simple change of scenery, I feel inspired to write again. There is so much to tell you about now: it's Fall in New York, and just absolutely gorgeous, there is a new neighborhood to explore, I've had some friends move to the City and will hopefully be getting out and about more, even though Neil is still working weekends. The new apartment is absolutely fantastic - don't tell Neil but I have a little crush on it. It's two bedrooms so we actually have our bed in a separate room for the first time in three years. The other room Neil and I are sharing as a studio/craft room (Neil gets most of the space). Each room has a small balcony off of it, so I will be able to grow some stuff in small planters next year. The apartment has extremely high ceilings, maybe 12-15 feet high, and gets wonderful light. In general, I just somehow feel lighter in this place. I will not miss our old apartment at all. The neighborhood is very transitional, on the verge of gentrification, so not quite as nice as our old neighborhood but it also feels very exciting as you watch the changes happening. New restaurants and shops open every day and there is so much to explore. 

Here are a few pics of the new place:






The living space is tiny, but that's okay. Without the bed in the living room, we don't actually have that much furniture. It's a very comfortable size for just the two of us. 

The fall colors have finally come to New York. I met Neil in Central Park a few days ago for a lunchtime walk and was astounded by the vibrancy of the foliage in the park this year. I don't remember it being so vivid last year. 





It's also apple season. A couple of weekends ago, Neil and I drove upstate and went apple picking. It was a glorious fall day, with just a tiny chill in the air. Unfortunately, we were at the very end of the picking season and most of the apples were already off the tree and so we did more apple-gathering than apple-picking. But it was still a fun experience and the apple pie that I made from the apples was one of the best I have ever made. 







This last weekend was one of those perfect fall days, beautiful sunshine slanting in through the windows, crisp air but not too cold and, with the light streaming into the apartment and the windows opened, I was inspired to cook like I haven't been in a long time. I made a loaf of fresh bread, yogurt, the apple pie and I churned a batch of brown sugar ice cream to go with the pie. Then for dinner I braised a pork shoulder for carnitas. It felt like a return to myself. I haven't cooked like that since we left San Francisco. 



Sometimes you just need a change of scenery...

No comments: