Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Runaway hobby

Spring has finally arrived in NYC! Blossoms on the trees, warmth in the air, asparagus at the market! About time. It has also brought with it quite a few April showers, which, in NYC, means thundershowers. I happen to love thundershowers. You don't really get those in the PacNW and I just love hearing the thunder and seeing the flashes of lightning through the curtains. Plus, usually when the thundershowers come, it's also pretty warm out, and there is nothing like a warm spring rain. With the smell of blossoms in the air. Ahh... I love seasons.

Even though the weather has been a lot nicer lately, I still haven't managed to get out much because I have developed a ridiculous addiction to sewing. I can't stop. Since I finished the tote bag, I have been on a pattern-buying, fabric coveting, sewing rampage. It's probably unhealthy, but I am completely obsessed. Here is the tote bag:



After the tote, I decided that I was ready to tackle knits (or stretchy fabric). Hmm... that wasn't my brightest decision, because even though the pattern was extremely easy, working with knits is not. They are slippery and slidey and flimsy and just generally not easy. The pattern was for a boat neck, long-sleeved t-shirt. I did finish the shirt but it's not really wearable. I mean, I could wear it, but it just so obviously screams "HOMEMADE!!!! AND NOT WELL...". You be the judge:



But I was not daunted by my shirt failure. At all. Because I was COMPLETELY hooked by that time. There is something SO magical for me about cutting out little pieces of fabric, making a few stitches and having it turn into a piece of clothing. I think in some ways, it's very much like making jewelry. You start with something flat and end up with something three-dimensional. So, I dove head first into a dress. With princess seams. And a lined skirt. And a zipper. And darts. And, lo and behold, after a week, and an entire day spent hemming, I turned out a completely wearable, super-comfortable dress. The fit is a little tight around the waist and when I wore it last Friday to work, after lunch I was a little bit uncomfortable. But, overall, I'm SO pleased with it. It's not hemmed yet, in this picture, so the skirt actually hits an inch or so above the knee now.


I found this super-cheerful linen at 50% off at the fabric store and although it does wrinkle, it's going to be really nice for summer days. I should probably also mention that this hasn't been ironed, so it no longer has a huge crease right down the middle. :)

One perk of working for the Opera and Ballet is complimentary tickets to the shows, and another perk, that I found out a couple of weeks ago, is that we also get invited to the Ballet's annual Spring gala. Us peons get to attend the cocktail hour and performance part of the gala, after which we are sent merrily on our way, while the glitterati get to stay and have a supper/ball. But that's fine with me - it should be a lot of fun to get all fancy and dressed up and rub elbows with other fancy people. Last year Sarah Jessica Parker and Natalie Portman attended.

Having no idea what one would wear to such an event, I googled some pictures from last year's event and realized that it is quite a dressy affair. For which I have ABSOLUTELY nothing appropriate in my closet. Me, not such a dressy person. And that's when the light bulb went on! I have successfully sewn and completed one, ONE dress in my lifetime - of course I should make my own gala ball gown, right? No problem. And of course I should pick a pattern that has a fitted, boned bodice and a gathered skirt even though I have never gathered anything in my life. Of course, this was bound to turn out to be an absolute disaster and I should have talked myself down off the ledge immediately. But I ignored my inner critic and tripped merrily off to Mood where I found some gorgeous wine-colored cotton sateen and set to work. And I'm very glad I didn't listen to my inner critic, because, in the end, it has turned out very nicely, if I do say so myself. I still have to hem the skirt and attach straps, but here is the progress so far:


It's a little bit hard to see because my iphone doesn't really take great pictures in low light, but there's some nice pleating on the overbodice, and the wrinkles in the midriff should ease out once I add the straps to hold everything up better. I actually like this strapless, but I'd need to add a LOT more boning to keep the thing up and Neil doesn't like strapless. So, straps it is!!

I'm just honestly glad that it's presentable so that I don't have to buy a dress at this point.

And so, this is where the last month of my life has been focused. I sew in the evenings when I get home from work, I sew on the weekends, sometimes I even find myself "sewing" in my sleep. It's completely out of control but I'm too far gone now. There's no going back. Next up - a shirt for Neil!

Happy Spring everyone!

4 comments:

SarahS said...

Your dresses are lovely! How wonderful that you have found a new passion. It sounds like you are enjoying life in your new city! :)

Juli said...

I got the sewing bug a few months ago too! I was up late late on the night before Easter trying to frantically finish the girls' dresses. In the end I didn't even attach the sleeves. I just zigzagged the seams closed and GLUED ribbon over it to cover it up. Not my finest hour. I haven't tried anything as fancy as your lovely dresses! They turned out great!

sfsteph said...

Thanks you guys! :) Julie - things take SO much longer to make than you think, right? I think I got a little mis-led by Project Runway and how they turn out gorgeous clothes in a day. :) I think the ribbon glueing sounds like an ingenious way to finish the dresses. :) Very resourceful. I hate finishing anyway.

Mel said...

I'm so inspired by your creations! That yellow dress is lovely and so springy. Love it!