Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Giving Thanks

Days remaining to christmas visit: 20

We arrived safely back in San Francisco Sunday night after a completely uneventful 13 hour drive. It was just a wonderful Thanksgiving holiday, spent with both family and friends. I don't think we could have asked for a better break. Pulling back into San Francisco, I felt an unexpected feeling of familiarity - like when you're coming home. I was happy to experience that. Portland will always be "home", but San Francisco is starting to be a better substitute, for now.

Also, I think the dose of rain, fog and dampness was just enough! I was able to absolutely appreciate our beautiful, sunny day yesterday. I rode the train down to the farmer's market and the windows were open and letting the warm, sunny wind blow in. Not bad.

So, in the spirit of my "reconciliation" with San Francisco, and being here for the next year and a half, I have decided to institute a new feature of this blog. With every post, I will list one thing that I like about San Francisco, to remind myself that living here for two years is an adventure and a privilege. Not everyone has the opportunity to uproot their lives and try something new out like we have gotten to. So today's reason why I like San Francisco is:

MY BUS DRIVER.

On my ride into work every morning, I have the best bus driver. He is always smiling, friendly, cheerful and funny. He remembers his riders and if they are running behind schedule, he'll stop to pick them up, no matter where they are. In fact, he keeps an eye out for anyone who might be catching his bus and will stop. He honks at my other bus to make sure that it waits for those of us trying to catch it. In sharp contrast to most other bus drivers in the city who are chronically cranky, he is great and I look forward to seeing him every morning.

Okay - see, that wasn't too hard for me.

So, I noticed that I only posted 3 blogs in November, dropping off sharply from my record high of 10 in October. Hmm.. I'm going to lose readership if I don't pick it up, so my December resolution is to blog 11 times - or atleast more than 3.

We got our Christmas tree all set up and it fits perfectly and looks wonderful. It's already drunk (drank, drunken?) 3 tree stands full of water - thirsty little guy. I think we'll put the lights on and decorate this weekend. It doesn't feel like Christmas down here, yet, though. It's just missing something in the air that usually signals to me that Christmastime is near - I think it's the chill that should be in the air that's really not. It was mid-60's yesterday. I'm not complaining - merely stating the temperature. So, I'll try to get the Christmas music cranked up and get in the Christmas spirit. Only 3 more weeks, now.

I did something a little scary yesterday. I bought a whole chicken. I have never, ever bought anything poultry that wasn't boneless or skinless. (I can hear my mother and grandmother cringing right now). In the spirit of my recent reading material, I thought I would give it a shot. I bought a little, tiny, local organic chicken and it's resting in my freezer now, waiting for me to get up the guts to thaw it out and cut it up. I also made a trip to Williams-Sonoma last night to buy the poulty shears to help me dissect the chicken and make it edible. I like the idea of only paying $3.99 a pound for organic chicken, and then getting to make real, live chicken stock, instead of using those little boullion cubes, which I have no idea where they come from or what they consist of. The whole bird cost only $12. I usually pay $8 just for two breasts, alone. I will let you know how that turns out.

Okay - so I think that the key to blogging more often is to write less each time. So I'll save some juicy tidbits for next blog! I'll post some pictures from Thanksgiving soon...

No comments: