Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Announcement

So, the title of this blog is "In a new city" and, seeing as we have now lived in San Francisco for one year and 8 months, it technically isn't really new any more, per say. Sure, there are parts of the City we haven't really gotten around to exploring, I suppose. We haven't really spent any time in Noe Valley or the Richmond districts. We've definitely made our way through the meaty stuff, though. But looking back through the blog posts from the beginning, I've definitely noticed a tapering off of juicy tidbits about the city. It's really become much more about what I do on a daily basis, and less about exploring a new city.

So, what to do to remedy this situation? Instead of changing the title of the blog, we've decided to adjust our life to match the blog title. In October this year, we will be making a coast to coast move to New York City. A new city. :) Neil will finish his program in less than a month, then we'll kind of just chill out and enjoy our last few months in our first new city. Then in October, we will head out to the Big Apple. We are planning on looking for a 1-bedroom apartment in Manhattan. We will use the bedroom as a studio and treat the rest of apartment as if it were a studio apartment. I am practically licking my chops in anticipation of all the planning, organizing, and financial wizardry that is lurking out there in the months of July and August. There is just something I absolutely love about apartment-hunting, job-hunting, and moving-truck hunting. And for all of you who are going to make this assumption, (I assume you will because everyone we've told has assumed this) the move to New York is not because of the art scene. We decided to do it simply because we can. We have no ties to anything solid at this point, (children, house, etc.) and when we settle back into Portland, I want it to be for good. We just kind of need to get some wanderlust out of our system. New York is exciting and a huge adventure and that's still what we're seeking at this point in our lives. I know by age 30 you're supposed to be settling down and starting a family, but I recently calculated that Neil and I have spent about 15-16 years in college, between the two of us. I did 5 years of undergrad, then 2 years of post-bac and Neil has done 2-3 years of community college, 4 years of undergrad and 2 years of grad. So, we're a little bit behind in all the "living" that people do around age 21-23, when normal people actually graduate from college and start their real lives.

So now it's just hurry up and wait. And try to enjoy the last few moments we have in our first new city. All the discovery has been fun and I can't wait to do it all again!!

5 comments:

Mel said...

OMG, I am really excited to hear this! You realize that DC and NYC are only about 2 1/2 hours apart by car?? Or by Chinatown bus? I'm so excited to have another friend in NY to visit!! :-D

Mel said...

Ok, my husband just said it is actually 3 1/2 hours, but really, that's nothing!!

J and C Smith said...

Wow! How exciting! Good for you guys to be spontaneous and do what you want! I hope you guys enjoy the last couple months on the west coast and that you have safe travels to the east!

sfsteph said...

Thanks Carrie! And Melissa - I totally expect to visiting DC and hanging in your awesome back yard! :) 3 1/2 hours is nothing! Portland to Seattle, no problem!

Sonja said...

Wow, congrats to you and Neil. What an exciting adventure. Best of luck with the moving/apt hunting.